Wednesday, January 28, 2015

You're getting sleepy....sleepy...sleepy

 Recently I asked approximately 200 children between 11-13 years old if they felt tired during the day. In a very scientific straw poll (notice the satire) the results were staggering. Over 85% of the them told me that they were not just tired during the day, but very tired. According to WebMD, children aged 10-11 need 10 to 11 hours of quality sleep each day. Children 12 to 18 need 8 to 9 hours of quality sleep each day. The children I spoke to on average were getting up at 6 a.m. each day for school. I told them that means you need to be in by 9 p.m. the night before if they were going to get nine hours of sleep. The reactions I got were a little disturbing. Some said they went to be at 10, some 11 and some even midnight. I realize that some may have been fibbing to "look cool". But I fully believe most were being honest with me. I'm wondering if this could be one of the reasons some children are struggling with homework. Or, if their lack of sleep could be contributing to the seemingly increase in bullying in our schools. I don't know about you but when I'm tired, I don't think clearly and my tolerance for others is a lot less than when I'm fully rested. I get moody and sometimes not so fun to be around. 

We talked about all the "why's" they are not getting enough sleep. One of the biggest thieves of sleep time is their cell phones. They all admitted to me that when they close the door to their bedroom the texting, social media, and video watching begins. They are spending hours sending a text to friends, camping out on social media and watching or creating videos to be shared on their video channels. I suggested that they turn off their phones at 9 p.m. and let their friends know that they are off the radar after nine. Well that of course didn't go over so well. I do feel especially in the younger ages, for their own protection, the phones need to be monitored by parents or  guardians. So lets charge those phones up at night in a different room other than the child's bedroom. 

The other thing that is robbing them of a blissful slumber is electronics in their rooms. They admitted to me that they are playing video games or watching television way past their bedtime. Instead of relaxing and winding down most video games and television shows actually rev them up and stimulate them. Some told me the only way they can even go to sleep is with the television on or music playing. I also realize there are children have medical conditions the prevent them from sleeping. I suggest parents communicate with their medical doctors for assistance in this area. 

I have some suggestions I hope you find helpful to encourage your children and yourself to get a restful night. 

  • Get on a routine. Go to bed the same time every night. Start with a light healthy snack. Then a warm bath. Change into bedtime cloths. If you are having a hard time getting to sleep grab a book and read for 10-15 minutes. 
  • Use breathing techniques. There is a method called the 4-7-8. Most people breath short shallow breaths. The 4-7-8 method is breath in 4 seconds, hold your breath 7 seconds and exhale 8 seconds. Repeat with your eyes closed. Repeat again...and again...and oh sorry I was nodding off. 
  • Take the electronics out of the bed room. Or if you absolutely cannot fall asleep without the music or TV, make sure you have a sleep timer so the device will turn off after you sleep. The light from the screen or the music keeps our brain stimulated. Even if we are sleeping its not our best sleep. Our brain needs to turn off to get the rest we need. 
  • You may try to increase you sleep hours 30 minutes at a time. You will probably not be able to go from 7 hours to 9 hours all in one night. 
  • Reduce the stress. If you find you can't stop thinking about your daily routines or everything you have to get done, keep a note book by your bed so you can write down what ever is causing you to stay awake. Once it is written down, your mind can release it.  

Here's to a peaceful restful sleep...............


No comments:

Post a Comment